Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Zee Girl and Pepzi

It was another happy day in the Scrabble factory. Shruti was happily stamping out S's for the game and Zeba was running some of them through the Z press. A special device used to squish S's into Z's. But then something terrible happened. Zeba slipped and fell from the catwalk into the depths of the Z press. The other workers rushed to stop the machine and managed to pull Zeba from the machine. She was badly bruised and cut, but miraculously seemed otherwise unharmed.

“Are You alright?” asked Shruti.

“I... I'm fine.”

“What happened?”

“I think I zlipped from the catwalk.”

“What did you say?”

“I zaid I zlipped.”

A look of horror spread through the room.

Zeba's boss walks slowly towards Zeba.

“I... I.. I'm sorry Zeba.” He said.

“Oh, it'z nothing.”

“No....” he then let's a great sigh. “I have to let you go.”

“But why!”

“This is a Scrabble factory. We can't have employees who cannot pronounce all the letters. I'm afraid we have to let you go.”

Zeba was stunned. “But what will I do? Where will I go? Who will make my beautiful Zz?”

“Shruti can take over till we train a replacement.”

Zeba turns in anger “What doez zhe know about making Zz!” Zeba screams. “My beautiful Zz are worth 10 pointz and her flimsy letter iz worth only 1! Zhe iz not worthy to make Zz.”

Zeba, depressed and dejected walks out of her beloved Scrabble factory.

Lost in thought, Zeba doesn't even pay attention to where she is walking. She just lets fate rule her direction. And fate brings her to the 1st American bank of India. A bank that inexplicably has U.S. dollars rather than Rupees. As she walks buy, two armed men crash into her and land heavily on her with two big sacks. Zeba grabs the sacks and the men angrily tear them away from her. As they do, several stacks of bills land on the sidewalk. The men rush off just as the police show up.

“You all right mam?” they ask.

“I'm fine.” responded Zeba. “Not the worze thing to happen today.”

“Excuse me?”

“Oh, nothing.”

One cop picks up a bundle of notes. “Hey, check this out.”

“Yeah? What did you find?”

“Look at the $ symbol. It's not an S inside, but a Z.”

“That'll make it pretty easy to trace.”

“Yeah, weird the bank would have such a misprint. Wonder if it was a security policy?”

Zeba is stunned.

“Hey miss, you aughtta go home. You don't look so good.”

“....uh hu.....” Is all she manages to get out.

As she walks home she finds an S on a sign. Making sure nobody is watching, she reaches out and touches it. Nothing happens. Thinking it was all pretty stupid anyway, she slaps the S laughing at such a silly thought. The S snaps into a Z.

Zeba is again, stunned. She stares at the Z with her mouth hanging wide open.

“Thiz did not just happen” she says to herself.

Zeba decides it's time to get home and fast. On the way she can't help but practice her new found talents hoping nobody notices.

“I know what I can do, but what do I do with it?”

Finally in the safety of her home her lovable Pepsi rushes to great her. Before realizing what happened, Pepzi was licking her hand and prancing up and down in excitement.

“Oh my Pepzi... My zweet Pepzi! What am I going to do?”


No comments: